Warsaw and Cracow – Sightseeing program with flight to Warsaw Polish Airlines
Tour and get to know the culture of Jews in Poland. Trips are served already from 2 persons. Get in touch with us by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org or by the phone +48 791 520 850
Arrival to Warsaw Chopin Airport. Meeting with tour guide, transfer to the hotel. In the evening you will visit the city centre and Old Town in Warsaw with the guide. Accommodation.
Day 2, 3, 4
Warsaw - In today's Warsaw, Jewish holidays – Pesach, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah or Hanukkah – are celebrated as in the past. They are often accompanied by nemerous cultural events addressed also to non - Jewish people. Breakfast. Guided tour of Warsaw. During a visit you will see:
Jewish Warsaw - the city which does not exist. History of the Jewish in Warsaw – a group which until the start of World War II represented 30% of the population.
The first substantiated information about the stay of Jews in Warsaw come at beginning of the 15th century. Warsaw Jews divided the capital on "this" and "that" streets, with the division into the north and noon part of city. The streets located in the southern part of Jewish Warsaw were regarded good. Such streets as: Śliska, Pańska, Grzybowska, Twarda, Plac Grzybowski, Gnojna, Krochmalna, Mariańska. Here a piousest and most conservative part of Warsaw Jews lived.
On "this" streets almost in every courtyard was located Hasidic sztibł, and to a few houses a ritual bath fell. On Friday evening, before coming of the Sabbath, a guard making sure that all shops are closed earlier. On Saturday morning streets filled up with the smell of czulent and kugel. From all windows sounds reached Sabbath songs. There was an earth of Israel.
To "that" of streets belonged: Dzielna, Pawia, Gęsia, Miła, Niska, Stawki, Muranowski Place, and already above all Nalewki and Franciszkańska street. Local Jews traded before the First World War, with Vladivostok, Pietropawłowsk and also with China. Shops were full of goods. Rents in those surroundings were being paid high, because every flat was a small-sized enterprise. There were houses of the learning and Hasidic sztiblech, but they were invisible between shops and factories. On "that" streets people walked with hastened step.
Thousands of travelling salesmen were run over from here with goods to the most distant surroundings. Almost every flat on "that" streets served simultaneously as the shop and the night shelter. On „that” streets Jewish talked oneself about the height and the fall in the share, they made comments on the rate of foreign currency, they were worried whether the pound sterling will go up. Here Hasids put on stiff collars and ties, because it helped on business. In these surroundings people dreamt about the structure of Israel and about the socialist revolution...
Warsaw Ghetto was the largest of all the Jewish ghettos in Nazi-occupied Europe during World War II, it included 2% of the city. Residential quarter of Warsaw in the present time. During the World War II, Ludwig Fisher – German war criminal, has built closed Jewish camp. The boundaries of the ghetto became the borders of life and death. Guarded by German police, the Polish police and the Jewish Order Service.
Officially, the occupation authorities have argued that the isolation of the Jews is to protect Poles and Germans against infectious diseases, especially typhus, which allegedly spread among the Jewish population. Already in the first weeks of the occupation, issued orders to block owned by Jews bank accounts and savings, banned ritual slaughter, introduced an obligation to work for people from 14 to 60 years old. From December 1, 1939, people of Jewish origin were obliged to wear on his right forearm, armbands with the Star of David.
Restrictions on freedom grew with each passing month. The occupation authorities have banned Jewish to pray together, they shut down the synagogue. Jews were forbidden to travel by train, entrance to parks and restaurants. German soldiers committed the attacks on people of Jewish origin. In February, the Jews were forbidden to use trams and introduced them special food coupons. The Warsaw Ghetto was officially closed on November 4, 1940. For thousands of people the decision to create the ghetto meant an urgent need to abandon their homes, the hasty sale of apartments and buying new ones. Migration related to 138 thousand Jews and 113 thousand Poles. Most of the transactions were not favorable. Many people were unable to buy a new home.
Leaving the ghetto it was strictly forbidden. In addition, the Polish people for helping Jews was punishable by death. The death penalty for Jews leaving the ghetto and for every Pole helping Jews in any way was announced on November 10, 1941. Soon, many of the ghetto inhabitants began to suffer as a result of food shortages, disease and bad sanitary conditions.
"We must persevere in order to punish those who tortured our brothers and sisters, children and parents. We avenge all those who fell at the hands of killers on the battlefield for freedom and human dignity ". The ghetto was liquidated after the uprising in May in 1943.
Monument to the Ghetto Heroes The monument to the Heroes who died during the Ghetto Uprising in 1943. The monument was built near the place of the first battles of the Jewish fighters with the Nazis during the uprising in the Warsaw ghetto in April 1943. The western side of the monument, titled The Fight, features men, women, and children armed with grenades and bottles of petrol. The figure holding the grenade represents Mordechaj Anielewicz. The other side, titled March to Destruction, shows the suffering and martyrdom of women as well as innocent children and the elderly. To the monument leads wide stairs. Next to them, on a stone slab, there are two bronze menorah. On the pedestal of the monument an inscription was carved in Polish, Yiddish and Hebrew: "Jewish Nation for one's Fighters and Martyrs".
The copy of the monument is in the institute of the memory of martyrs and holocaust heroes Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. The route of the memory of the martyrdom and fights of Jewish stone monument commemorating places, events and the people associated with the Warsaw Ghetto.
Bunker of the Jewish Combat Organization (ZOB – several Jewish underground organizations created an armed self-defense unit known as the Jewish Combat Organization, which has got around 300 members) – On 8 of May 1943 during Warsaw Uprising, in the Warsaw Ghetto where was situated staff of Jewish Fighting Organization was surrendered by the Germans and by the cooperating with them Ukrainians.
After calling on Jewish to surrander, some people who were in Ghetto (mainly the civil populace), left the bunker and gave up. The soldiers which stayed inside, tried to fight to the bitter end. ZOB commander Mordechaj Anielewicz commanded the Jewish fighters, armed with pistols, grenades (many of them homemade), and a few automatic weapons and rifles. The ZOB fighters stunned the Germans and their auxiliaries on the first day of fighting, forcing the German forces to retreat outside the ghetto wall. On the third day of the uprising, Stroop's SS and police forces began razing the ghetto to the ground, building by building, to force the remaining Jewish out of hiding.
The Nazis threw tear gas into the shelter to force the occupants out. According to the relation of Tosia Altman, who was one of few persons, which managed to get out of bunker, through sixth undiscovered by Germans exit, Jewish resistance fighters committed mass suicide under the command of Arie Wilner. About 120 of Jewish resistance fighters was killed, including the commander Mordechaj Anielewicz with his girlfriend Mira Fuchrer. A few fighters survived and they handed this information to the world.
Grzybowski Square - square from XVII century, part of the old Jewish Quarter and the Warsaw Ghetto, became a forgotten area of the city for many years. In March 1941, the area of the Jewish Quarter was reduced, define its border along the east side of the square. Church of All Saints was given to the Jews, whose ancestors before the war accepted the Christian faith and were completely assimilated. Nowadays, their buildings are adorned with pictures depicting the history of the Jewish Quarter, which is now a Centre for Jewish culture and education. Visit The Ester Rachel Kamińska and Ida Kamińska State Jewish Theatre which is the only institution in the world that regularly features plays in Yiddish, and is very popular to this day.
All Saints Church, it is a Roman Catholic Church from 1883, which is also located at Grzybowski Square. During the German occupation in years 1939 – 1945, the Church scheltered and helped many Jews, inter alia, including professor Ludwik Hirszfeld, who is considered as one of the co-discoveres of the inheritance of ABO blood type. On 8 of June in 1987, during the third apostolic visit to Poland, Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass inaugurating the Second National Eucharistic Congress at Al Saint Church. Among the tens of thousands of faithful was Mother Teresa of Calcuta.
The Nożyk Synagogue is the only surviving pre-war Jewish house of prayer in Warsaw. It was built in 1898-1902 on the initiative of Zalman and Rivka Nożyk. During the war the Germans converted into stables. Despite the damage, shortly after the war it regained its original function. Nowadays, the Chief Rabbi of Poland Michael Schudrich is working in this synagogue. Synagogue services are still held there every day, during which the prayer Izkor is said - according to the wishes of its founders - mentioning late Rivka and Zalman Nożyk. Today, the synagogue is the most important meeting point of the Jewish community, it is also a place of prayer and major cultural events, such as concerts, exhibitions, debates. In the basement of the synagogue there is also a mikvah - a ritual bath.
The Warsaw Jewish Cemetery is one of the largest Jewish cemeteries in the Europe and in the world. The cementery contains over 200,000 marked graves, as well as mass graves of victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Many prominent figures were buried at the cemetery – the creator of Esperanto, Ludwik Zamenhof, a writer Isaac Leib Peretz, an actress Esther Rachel Kamińska and numerous rabbis and tzaddikim. In 2009, Marek Edelman was buried here – the last leader of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, but also outstanding cardiologist.
Many of these graves and crypts are overgrown, having been abandoned after the Germans invasion of Poland and subsequent Holocaust. The area of the graveyard is divided into parts: orthodox, progressive, children's, ordinal, military and ghetto. Orthodox part is still divided into women's and male side and a special part for keeping scriptures. Although the cementary was closed down during World War II, after the war it was reopened.
The Jewish Historical Institute – is a research institute in Warsaw, primarily dealing with the history of Jews in Poland. The museum is located in the ancient district of the Jewish Ghetto which took place during the World War II.
You will see as well: The Warsaw Uprising Museum located in the Wola district of Warsaw, is a museum dedicated to the Warsaw Uprising of 1944.
The Royal Castle in Warsaw built in the 14th century, is a castle residency that formerly served throughout the centuries as the official residence of the Polish monarchs. At present museum, it is located in the Castle Square, at the entrance to the Warsaw Old Town.
The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw is one of the highest building in Poland and the eighth highest building in the European Union. We will see the Palace from the outside and for willing, entry with fast lift to the top floor of the Palace, where from we have a view on the entire panorama of Warsaw.
Day 5, 6, 7 Krakow/Auschwitz.
Krakow – Throughout the centuries Polish and Jewish history have been closely entwined, and no trip to Krakow would be complete without getting to know the religious, artistic and historical heritage of Krakow's Jewish community. Jews played an important role in the country's cultural, economic and political life and this tour will take you through the ages with an expert guide to explore and understand important events over time.
About 5:00 in a morning we will leave a capitol of Poland and we will go to Krakow – the distance is about 300 km from Warsaw. After arriving to the Krakow, firstly we will have a breakfast in the restaurant and then we will have a meeting with a license guide tour and we start our tour through the ancient capital city of Poland. Jews lived in Krakow since the eleventh century, at the beginning probably in the vicinity of the Wawel Castle. Since the mid-thirteenth century Jews built their homes and synagogues in the south - western part of the city. From this point we are going to start our tour. We will get through Market Square, where the Jews ran their interests.
Then we come along Grodzka Street to Stradom and Kazimierz. In 1495, in accordance with the decision of the king, Jews moved from krakow to the city of Kazimierz, where was created an autonomous Jewish town Oppidum Judaeorum. We will see seven synagogues and the oldest Jewish cemetery in Poland. Let me show you what life was like Jews before World War II. We will look to the typical Jewish backyard, the most picturesque in Krakow, where one scene of the film "Schindler's List" by Steven Spielberg was produced. Next, we will go to the other side of the Vistula River to the Podgórze district, where during the Nazi occupation the Germans created a Jewish ghetto.
We are going to see places marked by the suffering of thousands of Jews. Our walk will end at Schindler's factory - the current seat of one of the branches of Krakow's Historical Museum with a permanent exhibition dedicated to the history of the city in the years 1939-1945. Then we visit the Old Town and the Royal Castle in Krakow, where its headquarters were the first Polish kings.
You will see as well:
Szeroka Street – is in fact the broadest street in Krakow. Today the street, lined with old synagogues, stylish restaurants and hotels, the palace and stately houses from 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, most of which refer to Jewish culture and tradition. At the turn of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries on the street Szeroka was built Old synagogue, and less than half a century later a second synagogue Remuh. On the north side of the Szeroka street, is building with a ritual bath - mikvah. This mikvah existed already in 1567. In the mikvah happened a tragic accident, in which ten women taking a bath drowned, because the floor collapsed. Concluding the topic about Szeroka Street, it should be mention "Zieleniec" with a group of trees on the north side, opposite the Remuh synagogue. In this place was a small cemetery surrounded by a wall, until the last war.
The Old Synagogue - is the oldest building of this type in Poland and one of the most precious monuments of Jewish sacral architecture in Europe. The Synagogue was built at the end of the 15th century by Bohemian Jews. Before 1939 the synagogue was the main center of religious, cultural, social and organizational Cracow Jewish Community. During World War II it was converted into a warehouse and vandalized but it was restored after the end of the war and turned into a brunch of the Historical Museum of the city of Krakow.
One of the most important events in the history of the synagogue was the speech of Tadeusz Kosciuszko to Jews, who urged them to the fight for the freedom of the shared homeland. Then he said these words: "I want nothing for myself, I only care about the poor state of the homeland and the happiness of all its inhabitants, to whom and Jews belong".
Remuh Synagogue - was built in 1556, is a small synagogue where services are still performed today.The synagogue is the second oldest Jewish house of prayer in Cracow. Synagogue with the adjoining cemetery to it, create a unique and priceless team of Jewish architecture and the sacred art, reaching the 16th century.
In 1968 the synagogue was visited by Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, and in 1992 by the president of Israel, Chaim Herzog. Since 2006, the Rabbi of the synagogue is Boaz Pash.
The Remuh cemetery - also known as the old cemetery, is the oldest extant Jewish necropolis in Krakow, and one of the oldest in Europe established in 1533. The cemetery is located in Kazimierz by the Remuh synagogue, contains many matzevas (tombstones), including the most revered tomb of Moses Isserles, visited by many Jews from all over the world, especially on the anniversaries of his death. The cemetery was renovated. Fragments of gravestones were built in into the inner part of the wall, creating the so-called “Wailing Wall”. The oldest preserved gravestone dates from 1552.
Izaac's syngogue - is popularly known as Ajzyk's synagogue. The biggest synagogue in Krakow, which in the past was the richest Kazimierz sanagogue. The synagogue was founded by a wealthy merchant Izaak Jakubowicz, at the urging of his wife Brajndli. He wanted in this way to thank for the success and happiness of his family. In 1638 Jakubowicz tried to get the agreement of the king of IV Władysław for building the impressive synagogue. The inauguration of the synagogue took place in 1644, and Cracow Jews could already pray in this biggest and best equipped synagogue in the city.
In December, 1939. Germans wanted to force an employee of the Jewish community, Maximilian Redlich, to arson Torah scrolls. When he refused to obey the order, he was immediately murdered in front of the entrance to the synagogue. In June 2007, Jewish Community in Krakow leased the synagogue to the Hasidic group Chabad Lubawicz. In one of the smaller rooms was opened shop of kosher products.
New Square - also called "Jewish" is a commercial and cultural heart of Kazimierz.
Nowadays, New Square is functioning into weekdays as the market where it is possible to buy both vegetables and precious antiques. In the square, there are plenty of cafés and pubs. New Square is also a venue for various festivals and events, inter alia, the Festival of Jewish Culture or the Festival of Soups.
Auschwitz – Birkenau.
After breakfast we will leave Krakow and we will drive to Auschwitz, it is about 70 km from Krakow.
Auschwitz concentration camp was a network of German Nazi concentration camps and extermination camps existing in years 1940 – 1945, symbol of the Holocaust. It was built and operated by the Third Reich in Polish areas annexed by Nazi Germany during World War II. It consisted of Auschwitz I, Auschwitz II Birkenau, Auschwitz III Monowitz and 45 satellite camps. Auschwitz-Birkenau, like other German concentration camps in Europe was subject to the Management Board of the SS.
This is the only concentration camp being on the list of the world legacy UNESCO.
Touring the camp with the guide, return to Krakow. Accommodation.
Day 8 - Krakow/Warsaw.
Breakfast and check out from the hotel, transfer to the Airport in Warsaw (about 320km) and fly to Tel Awiw about 10.55pm. During the journey to the Airport (if we have a time) we will visit Lelów the village where is the famous Tzadik tomb of David Bidermann. Before World War II, there was situated an old Jewish cemetery with the grave of charismatic leadership - Tzadik David Bidermann, who settled in the area and founded the Hasidic dynasty which still exists in Israel. The cemetery was destroyed by the Germans during World War II and the villagers murdered in concentration camps.
The price for the group:
- From 2 to 9 persons 920 EUR/per. (Transfers by public transport with a tour guide)
- From 10 to 16 persons: 870 EUR/per.
- From 17 to 30 persons 820 EUR/per.
- From 31 to 40 persons 780 EUR/per.
- More than 41 persons – individual valuation.
The price contain:
- Tour programme
- Tour guide (you can choose languages: English, Polish)
- Transfers by minibus, by bus or by train while touring.
- Accommodation in 2* hotels and guest houses, double rooms - 8 nights
- Food: local breakfasts (8 breakfasts)
- Basic health insurance from Insurance Companies TU EUROPA www.tueuropa.pl
- Insurance includes: Medical costs EUR 50.000, unfortunate accidents EUR 4.000, luggage EUR 400.
Paid obligatorily after the arrival – 240 EUR/per person (it is possible to pay in the USD and PLN currency)
- Entry ticket
- Service of local guides in Warsaw, Krakow and Auschwitz.
- Parking charge during transfers.
- Climatic tax
The price does not contain:
- Flights: Tel Awiw – Warszawa - Tel Awiw
- Full board
- Services of the pilot and guides in the Hebrew language (individual valuation)
- Entry ticket.
- High standard of the hotels during the trip (individual valuation).
- Insurance against cancellation charges from the trip.
- Insurance against the chronic disease.
- Extra charges for a single room.
- The program is general and the order of touring is subject to change, however all paragraphs of the trip programme will be carried out.
- To visited places/museums, earlier group booking is required.
- The touroperator has no influence on changes of entry tickets.
- While touring cities: Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz, you will have possibility to choose guide in English, Russian, Hebrew and Polish language (required earlier booking).
- While accommodating the hotel can ask the customer to pay EUR 300 of the bail (for one room) and if the room will not be damage, then the hotel will give you back the bail.
- The change concerning participant of the trip is free of charge to 3 days before beginning the trip, below 3 days payment 10 EUR/os.
Due to the restrictions set by the Synagogues, male guests will be required to wear a skull cup during interior visits. Please wear modest clothing when visiting the Synagogue.
Payments: - bank transfer into account in EUR currancy:
- 30% down payment, which you have to pay when you make your booking.
- 70% excess fare, 30 days before the arrival to Poland
For your request we can make the number of the banking account available for USD and PLN currency – calculating the amount by the rate of the Polish bank.
Travel Agency Hawajskie Aloha email@example.com
+ 48 791 520 850